Thoughts on Decluttering & Consumerism

09:00:00



A declutter happened around my beauty stash, I threw away a lot of things (unfortunately) and filled a bag with a lot more to donate to friends. This makes me feel relieved but at the same time guilty for all the things I ended up wasting and for all the money I spent on them... would probably be closer to getting something greater now. 

I wanted to mention this in a way of not only sharing my experience and what made me change, but also ask you if you've been through the same and any tips you can give me and everyone else reading to get better at living with less and being happy with it.
By any means I'm becoming a minimalist, I sure know I couldn't do it, but I just want to become more of a conscious buyer. Save for my future and have a less cluttered life.


I've decluttered plenty of times, I've always been quite good at donating things I don't use before they go bad but the thing that never ended up changing was the wish of getting more, newer, better things. So even thou I was doing something right by taking the things that don't make me happy out of my life, on the other hand, I was adding more things that I didn't need and ended up becoming this vicious cycle. 

Where there's a problem there's a solution and to be able to achieve it I must find the cause for the problem. I soon realised watching Youtube and all the PR hauls, New at Sephora, Makeup Collections and all sorts have influenced me extensively on buying new, better, more things that I certainly do not need... as well as reading blog posts, or going on twitter, instagram and all social medias where I follow people that get sent or feature all this new products. One of the solutions could be stop watching this videos and stop following every brand I like and see what's coming next but at the end of the day I'd be running away from it. So I think it's best to watch it and develop a will of not wanting to get it. I think will serve me better to gain immunity by exposing myself to the situation instead of hiding it and try to forget about it. 
I work in the beauty industry, in a retail environment on a very well known company that supplies with most high end brands you can imagine... I deal with new launches almost every single day and trust me I get way too excited about them. But the best of working there is I almost never get anything because I have the chance to play with it for months and months until I make the decision and usually that decision is "I do not need so I'm not gonna get it" which is ideal. So I must apply this to everything else that we don't stock there, which is mainly american based brands.
I'm sure I will with a bit of effort. 

It is a long post already but I sure needed to get this registered as a motivational post for myself and hopefully someone else that is struggling with this. I know it's not a first world problem and there's more to the world that beauty, but at the end of the day if I'm not feeling ok mentally dealing with this I sure must find a solution and change it. 

Do you experience pressure on the beauty world? How do you control your wish of getting new, more and better things and stop caving in to the hype? Give me all your tips as I sure will need them! 





You Might Also Like

0 comentários

Popular Posts

Blog Archive